Creative Commons License

« Previous post | Home | Next post »

FRAUD ALERT: Citibank fraud alert Bogus emails

Beware of fraudulent e-mail sent to Citibank customers. It purports to be from Citibank, but it is not. Its intent is to get you to enter sensitive information about your account and to then use this information to commit fraud. There are many variations of this type of scam, but they all try to make you click on the link. However, these links are bogus although they are usually cleverly disguised and appear to be legitimate.

To ensure a legitimate and safe sign on, always enter www.citibank.com in your browser. This applies to any sensitive account you may have from a financial institution, EBay, PayPal etc.

Category: FRAUD ALERTS
Posted on March 3, 2004 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

I received a email saying that I am the benefiecial of sara appollo account in the sum of 3,00000,00 dallars and they ask me to send funds in the amount of 650.00 though weston union or money gram and they will send the money to me. The money is at citibank of greece.

Posted by: Loretta Peterson at Nov 30, 2011 6:05:59 AM

someone sent me message via chat in facebook that she want to give me opportunity. She said that she is working at citibank and discovered a fund of a dead man and said that I must claim it because she fixed the necessary documents for me to be the legal kin of the late man. She ordered me to email citibank and the citibank replied and requested for some documents that the girl immediately handed me and forwarded to citibank. Then again the citibank forwarded a fund transfer form which i filled with my bank account and their reply was to pay the transaction fees via courier. The fee is almost 1,200 dollars which i can't afford and i forwarded the citibank message to her and she insisted me to sum up a 450 dollars and she will handle the rest. I said i cant afford 450 dollars to coz i am poor. I said that she should pay the rest coz she have a job and this will test her trust on me handing the money to forward to citibank. She didn't accept instead ordered me to email the bank my cousin's account info and email add in the united states. I replied that i have no cousin in the states. I just pretended that she can fool me, just for fun to see if she can't get easily frustrated. At the end of the day, she will learn that I am too smart that she didn't noticed it right from the beginning. Our transaction is still running for almost 2 months now. It includes me dalaying responses, giving invented bank accounts, anonymous names which don't exist and some unexisting phone numbers and addresses.

Posted by: jamal at Oct 2, 2011 9:44:10 PM

i just got this bogus email that went straight to my spam thanks to gmail detecting it to be fraud..

Citi Alerting Service

- Hide quoted text -

Citibank Alert Message

A message has been sent to you at Citibank message center.

- To read your message, sign on at https://www.citibank.com

- Select messages link, which appears on the left of every page.

If you want to confirm this email is from Citibank, sign on at Citibank message center.

E-mail Security Zone

ABOUT THIS MESSAGE Please do not reply to this Customer Service e-mail. For account-specific inquiries, kindly call 1-800-374-9700 (TTY: 1-800-788-0002) or visit citibank.com.

- Hide quoted text -

Citibank, N.A. Member FDIC.
Copyright © 2010 Citigroup Inc. Citi with Arc Design and Citibank are registered service marks of Citigroup Inc.

Posted by: j at Dec 4, 2010 9:04:12 PM

This is what I got today:
*************************************
Citibank Authentication Process

Due to your recent account activity, you need to confirm that the last transactions were made
by you or another authorized user of the account. You can do this by following the link below:
Once your activity is confirmed, you can continue using your account normally.

Thank you for banking with Citibank!
Citi Online Banking Security
*************************************
Because there have been so many mergers these days, I wasn't sure whether I had an account with them! Just to be on the safe side, I decided to check it out...

Posted by: Linda Kruger at Oct 4, 2010 12:05:51 PM

I'd like to sign up for alerts that allow tracking my balance, etc.

I went to www.citibank.com/alerts and all that was there related to fraud alerts.

Ellen Fletcher

Posted by: Ellen Fletcher at May 30, 2010 8:49:08 PM

I have never done business with citibank. Yet I receive an email from these spammers several times a month. They even have my name as Frances (a girl's name) instead of Frank. I have complained several times to the FTC and to CitiBank without success. Citibank will not help me because I do not have an account with their bank.

Citibank E-mail & Wireless Banking Alerts Payee Set Up or Changed On 04/20/10 a new payee was set up, or an existing one was changed, on your account: CENTURY LINK

Posted by: Frank at Apr 21, 2010 7:06:46 AM

I was impressed with this scammers attention to detail with Citibank logo's. An unwise not thinking person would be fooled.

Irregular Account Activity

Due to your recent transactions and card activity, we need to ensure that your account has not been accessed by

an unauthorized third party. In order to safeguard your Citibank account, we require that you confirm your banking details.

Your can do this securely by following the link below and completing the verification:

At the top of this message, you'll see an E-mail Security Zone. Its purpose is to help you verify that the e-mail was indeed sent by Citibank. If you have questions, follow the link in this email to visit Citibank.com and click "Security" at the bottom of the screen.

ABOUT THIS MESSAGE
Please do not reply to this Customer Service e-mail. For account-specific inquiries, kindly call 1-800-265-2700 (TTY: 1-800-566-1118) or visit the link in the e-mail.

Citibank, N.A. Member FDIC.

Posted by: Myles at Apr 13, 2010 5:43:42 AM

phishing scam for CITI CARDS !!!!!!!!
WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE COMPANIES DOING. CAN THEY FUCK FILE A PETITION AGAINST THAT REGISTERED WEBSITE AND BLOCK THE SHIT?? IF THESE PEOPLE CANT DO HIRE ME AND I WILL SHOW THESE FUCKING PUNDIT HOW TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS.

Posted by: un at Feb 22, 2010 4:18:39 AM

I've received this email yesterday. I don't even have an account with Citi Bank.

E-mail Address ChangeSunday, January 31, 2010 6:38 AM
From: "[email protected]" To: undisclosed-recipients

• privacy • citi.com

Secure Member
ATM/Debit card ending in: 2541

Change E-mail Notification
E-mail Address Change

A request has been received to change your e-mail addresses at Citibank.com:
Here are your current addresses :

[email protected]
[email protected]

If you did not request this change, please click here to login with your user id and password and submit a ticket.

For your security, this message is being sent to both your old and new e-mail addresses.

At the top of this message, you'll see an E-mail Security Zone. Its purpose is to help you verify that the e-mail was indeed sent by Citibank. If you have questions, please call 1-800-374-9700. To learn more about fraud visit Citibank.com and click "about e-mail fraud" at the bottom of the screen.

ABOUT THIS MESSAGE
Please do not reply to this customer service email. For account-specific inquiries, kindly call 1-800-374-9700 or visit citibankonline.com.

Copyright © 2009 Citigroup Inc.

Posted by: BJ at Feb 1, 2010 9:22:30 AM

I recieved this e-mail several times

Good Day,

I just got a report that you are dead and also got a Power of Attorney issued by a United States Court that Mr. Briggs is the rightful beneficiary to the huge amount you have with the bank. He also claimed you are dead and came with copy of your will and death certificate to the Bank. I have tried getting in touch with you on phone but haven't gotten any response. Therefore, I am writing you to know if you are DEAD OR ALIVE. If you do not reply back within 48hrs we will have no other option than to hand over the funds to Mr. Briggs. WE HAVE WITH US A SCAN COPY TO THE SECRET PHOTO SHOT BY OUR SECURITY CAMERA'S, ON THE DAY HE CAME TO OUR OFFICE TO TABLE HIS CLAIM THAT YOU ARE DEAD. Reply Quickly before we hand over this funds to him. contact me with my direct email: [email protected] Pls note we will be working hand in hand with Hsbc Bank to make you receive the funds once you revert back.

Regards,
Mr.Jerry Smith
Citibank
Payment Sector Department.

Posted by: Dan prutch at Oct 21, 2009 11:18:41 AM

Dear CitiCard Customer,

Your access to Online Services has been suspended due to several unauthorized attempts on your account. To enable you continue accessing your online account, it will only take you few minutes to re-activate your account.

Click on the guide-link below and follow the directions to instant activation to your account information.

Important Notice - You are strictly advised to match your online account details rightly to avoid service denial.

Yours Sincerely,
CitiCard Online Helpdesk

Posted by: Sylvia at Jun 30, 2009 12:14:56 PM

I received the same e-mail, I knew it was a scam because I don't have a Citibank account:

This is a Security Alert you requested to help you protect your account.

Your account has been suspended.
You have exceeded the number of three (3) failed login attempts.

To unlock your account, please login to your account

Thank you for your cooperation.

Citibank Service Center
Attn: E-mail/Internet Services
100 Citibank Drive
Building 3, 1st Floor
San Antonio, TX 78245

Posted by: L. Martin at Apr 15, 2009 7:37:59 AM

I received this email. It looks like a scam.

-------------

This is a Security Alert you requested to help you protect your account.

Your account has been limited.
You have exceeded the number of three (3) failed login attempts.

To unlock your account, please your account

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards
Constance Sheppard

Posted by: Sandra Spivey at Sep 29, 2008 10:39:57 AM

I received an email from this email address which I believe to be bogus. Is it?

Citibank [[email protected]]

Posted by: Janet Neff at Feb 18, 2008 7:17:03 AM

----- Original Message -----
From: Citibank
To: Gayegrissom
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 5:58 PM
Subject: ***Possible Spam*** Please confirm Your account

Dear valued Citibank member,

Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of the online banking community we have issued the following warning message.

It has come to our attention that your account information needs to be confirmed due to inactive customers, fraud and spoof reports. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew your records you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, failure to confirm your records may result in your account suspension.

Once you have confirmed your account records your internet banking service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

Please click here to confirm your bank account records.

Citibank Billing Department.

Citibank.com
Citigroup Privacy Promise
Terms, conditions, caveats and small print