Creative Commons License

« Previous post | Home | Next post »

Receiving strange or random checks

One of the "newest" and increasingly popular scams today is electronic check fraud. The Internet has made it much easier for these scams to happen.

If you EVER receive a check (either on paper or via email) that you didn't expect to receive, do NOT cash it.  Even if the bank says the check is legit and will clear. What do you do? Contact your local police or sheriff.

Also, very important: NEVER give out your checking account and routing number to anyone. Even if they tell you they want to wire you money. If you're a business and you need to do wire transfers to operate, be absolutely sure you are working with someone you know and trust.

And if you ever receive a check, email or any correspondence that references "Qchex," please be very careful. We recommend that you assume anything with Qchex on it is a scam. The victim could be you or someone else (using you as the conduit).

I can't go into the details of how the scams work. But please--protect your checking account information as carefully as your social security number. And don't trust anyone asking you to cash checks on their behalf.

Food for thought. Why would someone send you a check for no reason? Or why would someone need you to cash checks for them (and give you a huge % to keep yourself). The answer is: no one legitimately would. And bear in mind...you could either 1) be a direct victim yourself or 2) help someone commit a felony--a Federal crime.

Category: FRAUD ALERTS
Posted on May 12, 2005 at 09:45 PM | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Receiving strange or random checks:

Comments

hello,im a nigeria,and i think i have some websites for fbi to bloc if they want to reduce cyberfraud in the world,i know all those trick and how fraudsters do it,but the security agent in my country are not ready to welcome my ideas,well,im not doing this fraud but if u need my service for the idea on the eradication of cyberfraud in the world,feel free to email me back,thanks and godbless

Posted by: saad abdulganiy at Oct 2, 2005 9:39:44 AM

Dear readers,

See this Scamsafe post and FBI fraud alert about scams and fraud... http://www.scamsafe.com/scamsafe/2005/09/fbi_fraud_alert.html

Posted by: Tom (Editor) at Sep 14, 2005 3:33:10 PM

There is another e-mail they use.
managerlatv@inbox.lv

Posted by: Rejane at Sep 8, 2005 4:41:19 PM

I recevied this e-mail...
they sent me 3 checks that it`s a copy.

Hello, my name is Maurice Smith and I work for a
company called Latvian IT Inc. I found
your resume on careerbuilder.com because we are
searching for reliable professionals across the United
States who are interested in a potentially lucrative
partnership with an international firm.

Latvian IT Inc. is a leading software company in Latvia
and we are currently expanding our operations in the
United States. But because of various banking and
legal restrictions, we are unable to open commercial
bank accounts in every state. As such, Latvian IT Inc. is
recruiting partners to conduct simple banking
transactions on our behalf.

The process is simple. If you were interested in
becoming a US partner of Latvian IT Inc., you would sign
an agreement that would make you an official financial
representative of our company, able to accept invoice
payments on our behalf. Instead of asking our
American clients to conduct complicated international
payment transactions (which are especially complex for
Latvian companies), we have them work with our
partners to submit payments. You would then forward
the payments to us, a simple transaction for an individual.

Latvian IT Inc. pays its partners a 10% commission on
every transaction. In addition, we will take care of
any incremental tax liability you incur. Depending on
which state you are in, and of course on how good
business is, your monthly commissions could be as high
as $40,000 per month.

If you are interested in working with us, or if you
want more information, you can contact me directly at
my personal email address: webmaster@latvianit.com. I'll need your full
name and mailing address so I can send you the
contract and other paperwork necessary to get started.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Maurice Smith
webmaster@latvianit.com
www.latvianit.com

Posted by: Rejane at Sep 8, 2005 4:38:30 PM

***WHAT DO YOU DO WITH CHECKS THAT YOU RECEIVE?***

Do NOT attempt to cash them. You could get into real trouble with law enforcement or your bank. It's a scam. Give the checks to the police.

I know of one person who cashed the checks and, because she had a prior police record, was hounded by the police and (I think) eventually arrested. I'm not sure because I haven't heard from her since the day she was to report in to the police. So she's either on the lam or in jail, I assume.

--Tom
Editor, Scamsafe.com

Posted by: Tom (Editor) at Sep 2, 2005 8:39:18 AM

I got the checks from techstarlabs totlaing 4500, what happens when you cash them??

Posted by: lanush at Sep 2, 2005 8:19:24 AM

Posted by: lanush at Sep 2, 2005 8:18:44 AM

Hey all, the banks's money is NOT, I repeat NOT, insured. Either the account holder or the bank has to pay--and that means the bank is going to come after YOU.

There's is no bank insurance against consumer fraud--the Federal Deposit Insurance (FDIC) insures bank CUSTOMERS against bank FAILURE (usually). Not stolen funds, fraud or anything else.

If you've been defrauded, contact your bank first (fraud department), then the police. They may refer you to the US Secret Service if it's part of a larger case or a large amount of money (many thousands). Don't count on getting your money back ever. Sorry.

--Tom
Editor, ScamSafe.com

Posted by: Tom (Editor) at Aug 25, 2005 3:07:22 PM

I have been defrauded through my Bank account by the Nigerian scams... MY QUESTION IS, SINCE THE BANK'S MONEY IS ENSURED, - WHO PAYS THE LOSS THROUGH FAKE OR ALTERED CHECKS?

DOES THE ACCOUNT HOLDER HAVE TO PAY THE DEFRAUDED FUNDS?

Posted by: Ambby at Aug 25, 2005 2:05:50 PM

I received a couple of checks from Techstarlab.com. The four checks total to a amount of $3300.00 dollars. What should i do with these checks. These checks look like something that may have been copied from another check or through the computer.

Posted by: dee at Aug 22, 2005 11:21:26 AM

I just received many emails from an individual that goes by the name Chris Walsh at techstarlab.com. I just received checks from a person in Victoria,TX but this came from a woman's address. Yes, like many others I was contacted through a posted resume on careerbuilders.com. Now what should I do next?

Posted by: Hadazssah at Aug 21, 2005 6:18:38 PM

I thought this sounded like a scam but couldnt find anything that stated anything else. I gave them my address and name, should I close my email acct and start anew. Or just send everything back. I sent them an email and told them all info would be forwarded to the FBI. Little nervous, any advice.

Posted by: Melanie at Jul 25, 2005 11:46:04 AM

Just got one from Maurice Smith, at TechStarLab.com. I thought this stunk as a scam!

Posted by: Frank Clark at Jul 21, 2005 9:59:22 AM

I was almost a victim of fraud too, apparently. I found a job posting for "salesperson" on ChicoJobs.com for a company called Etype Post Financial Company. I, unfortunately, replied with my resume by email. The info emailed to me sounded a little odd so I asked for more detail. When I told the person who emailed me, Dave Crowther, I was interested, he asked for a copy of my ID to be faxed to him. I did not fax anything to him as I found a posting on this site that indicated the company is connected to another company in Russia that was running a check cashing scam. If anyone has any additional information on Etype Post Financial or Etype LCC I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted by: Linda at Jun 26, 2005 9:34:14 AM

i recieved the exact same emails but i did not sign any contract or any thing i recieved a 5,860.00 check in the mail today what do i do

Posted by: Misty Stacy at Jun 23, 2005 11:00:06 AM

well same as above...the new name now is maurice smith....company audit market.com.....I wish I had the emails he sent me, but after I returned or replied to his emails, I noticed I was being pinged from a node out of seatle..noticed I was getting virus alerts then my hard drive crashed.....the who is on the domain name is russian....and I did a search on the internet for russian scams...then check cashing scams...and here I am...he is using this email now...as of today....And like an idiot before I did research I sent him personal details on myself....all I can do is a return to sender on any mail that comes my way ....the body of the email is word for word what is mentioned above....as soon as I saw this site my stomach fell out my arse.....word for word....what scammers...I recently became ill and wanted to work from home.....these people suck using careerbuilder to get people to fall for a what seems to be easy money....now I just need to get him to stop emailing me and hope he doesn't send me any checks....good luck..

Posted by: john doe at Jun 9, 2005 5:17:27 PM

Sheesh! John Johnson and Larry Luber??? Can you get any more original? Morons...

Posted by: Jane Doe at Jun 7, 2005 11:33:30 PM

This is a scam. No question about it. Stay away.

Posted by: Tom F at Jun 5, 2005 12:44:00 PM

I received the following email after posting my resume on CareerBuilder.com:

Hello, my name is John Johnson and I work for a
company called IT Management Inc. I found
your resume on careerbuilder.com because we are
searching for reliable professionals across the United
States who are interested in a potentially lucrative
partnership with an international firm.

IT Management Inc. is a leading software company in Latvia
and we are currently expanding our operations in the
United States. But because of various banking and
legal restrictions, we are unable to open commercial
bank accounts in every state. As such, IT Management Inc. is
recruiting partners to conduct simple banking
transactions on our behalf.

The process is simple. If you were interested in
becoming a US partner of IT Management Inc., you would sign
an agreement that would make you an official financial
representative of our company, able to accept invoice
payments on our behalf. Instead of asking our
American clients to conduct complicated international
payment transactions (which are especially complex for
Latvian companies), we have them work with our
partners to submit payments. You would then forward
the payments to us, a simple transaction for an individual.

IT Management Inc. pays its partners a 10% commission on
every transaction. In addition, we will take care of
any incremental tax liability you incur. Depending on
which state you are in, and of course on how good
business is, your monthly commissions could be as high
as $40,000 per month.

If you are interested in working with us, or if you
want more information, you can contact me directly at
my personal email address: JohnJohnson@it-managment.com. I'll need your
full
name and mailing address so I can send you the
contract and other paperwork necessary to get started.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

John Johnson
JohnJohnson@it-managment.com
www.it-managment.com

- - - - - - - - - -

I did a whois search on "www.it-managment.com" and found that the registrant is someone who lives in my home town - certainly not anyone in Latvia and not "John Johnson".

- - - - - - - - - -

After replying to the message with my statement of interest, I received the following message:

Good morning Bob

I am glad, that you have agreed to our offer. I hope you already have
visited ours site (www.it-managment.com) and know answers on F.A.Q. But
I to explain even more in detail. Our market this software and IT
technologies. We successfully work on US the market. But financial
representatives in regions USA are necessary for expansion of our
opportunities for us. Your work consists in representation of our
financial interests in territory of your state. In particular, your
prerogative - work with Checks. You should collect checks which will
act on your address, cashing it checks and money to direct our agent
in Latvia. For some days you will be informed. We control each check.
The sum of checks changes about 1000 dollars. From the sum of each
check you leave 10 Percent to yourselves is yours commissions. We will pay
all the expenses on taxes and certificate. If you accept our
conditions as soon as possible confirm your consent. Bring your data
necessary for sending of the check in these columns:

Full name:
address:
City:
State, Zip:
phone:

If you have no home telephone number inform anyone contact phone.
It is necessary.

If you already informed us your full information, I ask to make it
once again and to fill in the form.
If you have questions, I to answer.
Best regards,
Larry Luber

- - - - - - - - - -

The website (www.it-managment.com) FAQ says I can cash the check at any check cashing facility (with which I would not have to give my checking account routing or account numbers) and I just keep the 10% fee for myself - I also keep the cost of the check cashing - and then send the rest to their intended recipient.

Sounds okay to me. How could I go wrong?

Posted by: Bob Downs at Jun 3, 2005 8:44:34 AM