Creative Commons License

« Previous post | Home | Next post »

You can help shut down job scams

Ok, readers. I've received thousands of emails (yes, thousands) from people that were victimized or have observed the bogus job postings on the job web sites. You know, the work-at-home, check cashing, & international shipping scams.

Now you can do something about it--at least on careerbuilder.com. I received an email from them today with directions on what to do (see the end of this post).

IF YOU NOTICE A BOGUS JOB POSTING THAT YOU SUSPECT IS A SCAM, CONTACT CAREERBUILDER.COM AT THE INFORMATION THEY PROVIDE BELOW.

Now we need Monster and the others to step up like careerbuilder has. And, despite this response from careerbuilder, we all should be intrepid and make sure careerbuilder.com actually shuts down these bogus postings FAST.

Careerbuilder.com, thanks for your response...and we are watching. Readers--by keeping an eye on careerbuilder and reporting bogus job postings, you will actively be helping someone else out there in the world. Your time is appreciated.

--Tom, Editor, ScamSafe.com

[Here's the email...]

"Dear Editor of Scamsafe.com,

We are writing you in regards to the information that you are telling people on your web site and this specific quote that was used in regards to job boards "(The job boards continue to aid and abet international crime rings. )".  Careerbuilder.com does not endorse international crime rings or aid them in taking advantage of unsuspecting jobseekers or customers.  In fact we at careerbuilder.com have established an actual team of specialists called the Site Integrity Team that prides itself in protecting our users and using various methodologies to prescreen any kind of questionable opportunities that fraudulent users try to put on the careerbuilder.com web site.  As we know that you have a different perspective on this matter we would appreciate you giving people a place to contact the Site Integrity Team either by email at csi@careerbuilder.com or by phone at 1-866-438-1485 x3099.  Again we appreciate what you do for your users and ask that you cooperate with us and allow us to assist you in any kind of questionable matters that may arise in regards to the careerbuilder.com web site.

Sincerely,

The CareerBuilder.com Site Integrity Team
1-866-438-1485 x3099
csi@careerbuilder.com"

Category: Consumer Tips
Posted on June 8, 2005 at 05:50 PM | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference You can help shut down job scams:

Comments

THere is no sign of CareerBuilder's "site integrity team" on their own website. Apparently they are not going to tell anyone else about this alleged team of theirs. I wanted to forward some frauds to them but they have redesigned their site to make that impossible.

Posted by: jd at Oct 28, 2005 6:25:38 PM

i fell for one of the scams mentiond on this message board what should i do to get out of it with no legel reprecussions ?????

federal prisin is not exactly apealing to me
plese allso respond to my e-mail

Posted by: anmonus at Oct 28, 2005 1:18:43 AM

how does one get to contact bhumitta by email for the job that is available as a receptionist..you have no click on careers on your site?????

Posted by: edith n'zoghe at Aug 8, 2005 7:15:11 AM

Here's the second one I received today.

$4,700 Monthly starting today - Part Time Job
Dear Candidate,

We have analyzed your resume and have found one job available for you to work at home right away with a guaranteed monthly income of $4,700 Monthly.

Work at home legit starting today! Don't pay several companies to buy kits or memberships!

No experience needed for this type of job other than the knowledge to access an e-mail and bank account. It does not matter what you do for a living, as long as you have 2-3 hours free every week.

We are a company based in Europe. We receive orders from U.S.A. and we need a representative to process the payments due to the delays in clearing cashier checks and money orders in Europe.

What we offer:
-Flexible program: two hours/week at your choice, daytime and evening time, mainly checking your email
-Work at home: checking e-mail and going to the bank
-Part time - no need to leave your current job - if you already work.
-Professional contact team with very good support and communication skills
-Other highlights: no selling involved, no kit to buy, we won't charge you anything
-Monthly salary: $4,700

What we ask:
-2-3 free hours weekly - not including weekends
-Internet access for sending and receiving e-mails
-Means for you to cash money orders/cashier checks at your bank using your existing bank account.

IMPORTANT:
-You must be over 20 years old.
-U.S. citizenship.
-Must own an existing bank account (we do not need the info of your account, just own one that is not newly created).

If you are interested by this type of job please ask for Representative Contract to begin.

SIMPLY REPLY to this email and ask the contract. You will also receive more details regarding this job.

The job is 100% legal in USA and all our sales activities are recorded at US work bureau.

If you have questions or comments for CareerBuilder.com, please use our feedback form.
This email was sent from Account ID A8A42G623D956BCQ045 and by this logged in User U8A4KN79727GC0VS9CT

Posted by: Andrew at Jul 22, 2005 4:14:17 PM

I hate to be the first to say but I will jus say it, careerbuilder does not do anything to help victims from having heir resumes viewed by people who appear to be from oversees who also use americans to involuntatrily steal money from their own banks.

If you have been scammed and have followed up with the job posting website, good luck. So far aol and yahoo have responded propmtly and professionally. But I cannot say thtet statmet ftort careerbuilder. They assume no responsibility.

My bank is not prosecuting me for this but they are requiring me to pay for it and have also suggested that I try to get my money back from careerbuilder for their neglect.

Posted by: Anonymous at Jul 13, 2005 6:04:50 AM

I am writing because I have read several notes that sound all the same about these bogus companies all aided by the same people. Anytime a company tells you to work from home and process checks or receive something and send it to them, it is the same company all along. This is what it looks like:$3,900 Monthly Salary - Part Time job
This email was sent because you entered your resume from www.careerbuilder.com

We are a French company in search of Representative from your area to join our company. We have one job available at this time.

If you are looking for 100% a legit job where you have to work to earn money not stay to earn money then this is the job for you.

Please use "REPLY" to contact our company.

There is no need to leave from your current job. You can work for us few hours weekly and increase your income with GUARANTEED $3,900 Monthly

High income potential is a reality. No Experience is needed. We need motivated people and we require from you to follow the instructions.

We don't ask fees for this job. We don't ask experience, just few hours are needed in one week.

IMPORTANT - You must be over 21 years old.
IMPORTANT - US CITIZEN
IMPORTANT - Able to start immediately

Whether you're looking to supplement your income or replace it with a financially rewarding career, our company can help you achieve your goals.
Regardless of your background. customer service, marketing, administrative assistant, project manager, sales, information technology (IT), healthcare, education, accounting or engineering .
our company gives you the chance to work and earn excellent salary monthly.

There is no cold calling, no telemarketing, no door to door sales and no relying on friends and family. Don't be scammed by all types of work from home jobs where companies are asking money to "help you"

You will earn as you learn.

You DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR ANYTHING TO WORK FOR US like other internet companies are asking. Instead: you will have your 10% commission in hand with every order that you process. No need to wait for paycheck at the end of the month because you DEDUCT YOUR COMMISSION SAME DAY YOU WORK.
You will receive the response same day. Remember: No costs: Nothing to buy. No membership to pay. No accounts to purchase.

More benefits:

No Selling
Work Full Time or Part Time
This is NOT Network Marketing
This is NOT a Distributorship
There is NO 'Kit' to Buy
There are NO Envelopes to Stuff
We DO NOT Charge You a Dime

We are selling various products (software and sometimes hardware) in US and Canada and we need YOU to process all the payments for these products because here in FRANCE the money orders and cashier checks are cleared within two weeks or more and is not reliable for our sales.

To simplify what this job implies: we advertise our software products on US market and because checks that are sent by customers here in FRANCE are cleared very slow (2 weeks plus shipping delay - more than 3 weeks), we need US representative (you) in order to receive payments for our products (checks, money orders) and cash them same day at the bank.
Your commission is 10% from each money order/ check, if you receive 2-3 checks in one day you will make more than $200.

Please use "REPLY" to contact our company.
This email was sent from Account ID A8E77Y72SX35M49241L and by this logged in User U8E35C6RHW5Q8KBKK18

Posted by: erica mc intosh at Jul 11, 2005 8:44:03 AM

I left the posting above..... the url I entered is to the scam website if this helps anyone..and the email address belongs to the contact from the bogus company and website emailing me from careerbuilder.....They have you enter your personal information and then have tracking numbers to the packages your are to receive...If anyone else falls for this don't ship packages, just reject them like me and call the fraud department of the shipper to make arrangements to have them picked up and returned to company being scammed...

Posted by: Rod at Jun 9, 2005 5:31:23 PM

This was a shipping scam like mentioned above...Through Careerbuilder.com...Man I wish I would have done more research before I gave them my personal info...But when I got the first package I did open it and saw the invoice which had the account opened in my name payed with visa which I donot have...I contacted thge shippers fraud department and had the package returned....The very next day a second package arrived(today) and I JUST REJECTED IT...and called the fraud department again...Still can't believe I gave them my personal details...The email and website looked ok at first..It asked if you met certain requirements for a shipping or transaction manager...When I didn't receive any documents or any company letterhead I did a who is on the website and found that the contact number was trump plaza (ha ha)...well hope someone can get these guys...the computer company I received package from knew right away as sonn as I mentioned the details of the job...I'm just glad I opened the package and noticed the account was opened in my name with a visa I didn't own....so things to look for on career builder....people who have a 24 hour leed time in responding to your email due to being in an international time zone....too good to be true usually means no good....promises of documents and paperwork coming, then all the sudden a package is at your door...ooops....good luck...do your reasearch.....

Posted by: john doe at Jun 9, 2005 5:04:09 PM