Creative Commons License

« Previous post | Home | Next post »

Work at home scams thriving as always

I keep seeing victims report getting hit by these scams. The fake companies offering great paying home employment continuously reconstitute themselves under different names. These scammers and fraudsters are so devious they even used the name of a victim that reported them on this web site. That's right, one of the people that first reported the work at home scams here on Scamsafe.com, back in 2004, had his name used as the "representative" of one of the fraudulent employers. And careerbuilder.com and the other job boards have utterly failed to protect consumers.

Last year careerbuilder contacted me directly saying they were making a committment to deal with these scams. I don't feel they are making any impact. The solution they proposed was that consumers should report the crimes and they would follow up. That's totally upside down. The job web sites should be taking a proactive approach to this. eBay has over 1,000 people dedicated just to fraud investigations. There needs to be a similar thing going on at careerbuilder and the other sites like monster.com. Sorry to single you out so much careerbuilder, but a victim just reported losing $12,000 to a scam perptrated by one of YOUR customers. Go to this link and read the comments (at the bottom, as of today).The company is called Escrow Cheque Corp and the business is a scam.  I propose that the online job services work together and cooperate to close down these scams. They cannot rely on law enforcement because most of these scammers operate from overseas. Do you have any idea how difficult it is for law enforcement to crack down on a ring that is based in Russia or Nigeria?

Category: FRAUD ALERTS
Posted on February 7, 2006 at 03:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

I was contacted by a guy named Bruce Newby who is running a similar program as the Power of the People Network you described above. He seems to advertising all over the internet on websites such as craigslist and other high traffic classified websites.

Has anyone here worked with him and had success or been scammed ?

Posted by: Dan at Aug 15, 2007 6:07:21 PM

test

Posted by: Tom F at Mar 21, 2007 3:12:54 PM

Thanks for posting everyone!

Posted by: Tom F at Mar 21, 2007 3:12:28 PM

I was recently solicited by email for a check-cashing scam by a company that used monster.com's logo at the top of their email. They found my resume on monster.com. The email looked legitimate, and so does the company's website at http://www.cashutils.com. However, I wasn't fooled by it, and reported it to Monster.com

I wonder how many thousands of emails like the one I received were sent out to unsuspecting job-hunters? I also wonder why Monster.com and other job boards don't stop companies like these from getting access to their job-hunter databases. Couldn't monster.com write screening software that would prevent this from happening?

Posted by: Steven at Feb 8, 2007 11:16:01 AM

Just received great news update:

There is a POPN LIFE member named Miguel who has been bragging about how he's opening a POPN LIFE office in Beauregard Parish, Louisiana. He joined and invited the Chamber of Commerce as well as local media, Mayor and Governor to the "ribbon cutting ceremony". Everything was a go for June 2nd and pictures were to be posted on the Beauregard News site.

However, I have been informed that the Chamber of Commerce has canceled the ceremony and informed Miguel that they will not be supporting POPN LIFE CO due to information that the received from the state's Attorney General's office.

Apparently the State of Louisiana's AG office is investigating POPN and POPN LIFE and the Chamber said that they will not be supporting this company because "they cannot see the value or product of the company."

THE FUNNIEST PART is that yesterday on their member support call, they encouraged everyone to go to their Chamber of Commerce and request a grand opening ceremony.

Posted by: STOP POPN at May 17, 2006 9:51:42 AM

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX: ABC Channel 8 Investigates http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=64642&catId=104

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX: NBC Channel 5 Woman Loses Thousands In Pyramid Scheme - http://www.nbc5i.com/video/9182324/index.html#

Corsicana, Texas: Corsicana Daily Sun, Corsicana, Texas - Web of deceit? - http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/local/local_story_130102448.html?keyword=secondarystory

Philidelphia, PA: NBC10.com - Local News - The Investigators: Woman Says 'Gifting Program' Took Last Dime - http://www.nbc10.com/news/9180219/detail.html

Some reporters are calling it The Power of the People Network, but it should say POWER OF PEOPLE NETWORK without "the" in the middle.

Posted by: STOP POPN at May 11, 2006 3:59:29 PM

If you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, please tune in to NEWS 8 INVESTIGATES on May 9th at 10 pm. The award winning investigative journalist, Brett Shipp, will expose POWER OF PEOPLE NETWORK, POPN LIFE CO and their founder, JON PARR of Texas.

Posted by: STOPthePOPN at May 1, 2006 8:05:48 AM

I was also scammed by the Power of People Network. This is an illegal "gifting program". Please do not lose your money as I did. They ask you to pledge or gift them $500, $1,000, $2,000 or $3,500 and they will give you "leads" to others who want to gift you money. It is ILLEGAL and in the end, it does not work. The founder, Jon Parr, is making hundreds of thousands off unsuspecting, innocent people by telling them this is legal. DO NOT FALL FOR IT!

Posted by: Chad at Mar 19, 2006 8:43:26 PM

I'd like to share an experience I had with the above referenced gifting club. As stated, they are called the Power of People Network. The founder is Jon Parr of Corsicana, Texas.

It all started when I answered an advertisement stating: "$$$Generate $3,500 per day CASH money returning phone calls - NO SELLING - NOT MLM - NOT NETWORK MARKETING". The premise? Just send Mr. Parr $3,500.00 CASH via FEDEX, DHL or UPS and he would show me the way. By the way, he stressed that he would not accept anything sent via the mail - this should have been a warning. He said that he wanted to be able to track the package and it was harder with the mail.

Ok, so you know what happened next....yes, I did it...yes, I know I'm stupid for doing so. I've been chastised and made fun of for my foolish and some call greedy interest in a make money fast scheme. However, I had no idea that what I was about to embark on was ILLEGAL.

Once the money was received, Mr. Parr sent me a list of leads to call and give them the same spiel that he gave me. He explained that each one of my first "sign-up's" cash pledge would go to him first. After that, anyone I signed up would go directly to me. Well, as you can imagine, I was not successful at this because it just didn't feel right. I made a few calls and then did some Internet research. I was scared about what I read so I called a local attorney who was gracious enough to speak to me over the phone w/o charging me. Well, this is indeed a gifting scheme and it is very illegal.

Of course, I called Mr. Parr to discuss this and he kept telling me about IRS codes that allowed for gifting and charitable donations...yada, yada, yada... Sufice it to say, he was unwilling to return my "gift".

I hope no one else is scammed by this group. However, from listening to the member support calls, there are thousands that are being scammed daily by this highly organized group.

Posted by: Chad at Mar 19, 2006 12:01:48 PM

Hi Mary:

The information you shared sounds horrilbe. So many people are lazy and they would rather be scammers than get an honest job. These people are probably middle school drop-outs who haven't worked an honest day in their lives. They probably pawned off their family more of their lives and do not have the integrity to do the right thing in life. No doubt that this is the type of thing that will make it's way into the public eye soon enough.

I hope everyone stays away from the Power of People Network.

Posted by: Carlton at Mar 17, 2006 2:21:06 PM

Hi All:

I am new to this site and want to post about a scam that cost my family $3,500.00. It was a "gifting program" called The Power of People Network. My husband answered an online ad stating "Make money at home for returning calls - no selling". We emailed and someone named Jonathan Parr who lives in Corsicana, Texas and Amelia Island, Florida emailed us for our number. He called within 30 minutes.

We were told we cold make between $500-1,500 per day returning phone calls and we wouldn't be selling anything - just answering questions. We should have known it was a scam because he didn't want to give many details until we were "qualified" (as in sent in the money) He was instructed to send $3,500.00 cash via FedEx.

Once the money was received, a guy named Elbert West from Carthage, TN emailed my husband about 200 phone numbers. He was instructed to call and tell these "leads" about the program and try to solicit them to send $3,500.00 to JONATHAN. Well, we were shocked on several levels. Why would we ask anyone to send someone else money before we had even gotten our money back not to mention that this just seemed wrong. As you can imagine, this did not work out well as my husband just didn't have his heart in it because he suspected this was illegal.

Well, it is illegal and it's categorized as and "gifting program" which falls under the heading of "organized crime"! There are several groups that have gifting programs online, but this particular one was called The Power of People Network and they are ULTRA organized. You have to send in cash via FedEx to avoid trouble with the Postal Inspector; you have to send in a "gifting statement claiming that you are giving this money of your free will and you have to send in a non solicitation agreement which states that no one solicited the money from you.

Please beware and do not get taken in by this scam. I am in the process of notifying EVERY Attorney General in the country as well as the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, Postal Inspector General, Better Business Bureau, IRS and the Federal Trade Commission. As you can imagine, they claim this money is tax free because it is a gift. I feel positive that the government would NOT agree.

Posted by: Mary at Mar 12, 2006 12:22:31 PM