Creative Commons License

« Previous post | Home | Next post »

How do I report stolen or lost checks?

When a consumer has lost or stolen checks, check services companies can help. They help you to protect your good name while also protecting those checks from being used at thousands of financial institutions and businesses.

Here's how it works. When a consumer has lost or stolen checks, you may report this information to a check service such as TeleCheck. TeleCheck enters this information into the company's extensive database. This helps prevent the checks from being used at any TeleCheck financial institution or business which protects the consumer and local businesses. This results in financial institutions not having to process, return or handle large numbers of forgery affidavits. Consumers who call TeleCheck directly are reminded to immediately report the lost or stolen checks to their financial institution and to their local police department.

The TeleCheck toll-free hotline for reporting lost and stolen checks is 1-800-366-2425.

Businesses can contact the National Check Fraud Hotline: (843) 571-2143.

Other check services companies include:

CheckRite (800) 766-2748
ChexSystems (800) 428-9623
CrossCheck (800) 552-1900
SCAN (800) 262-7771
Equifax Check Systems (800) 437-5120
International Check Services (800) 526-5380

Category: Consumer Tips
Posted on April 16, 2004 at 03:40 PM | Permalink


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference How do I report stolen or lost checks?:


My check arrived at my old address and i think they used it how can i reported stolen

Posted by: dennis at Aug 9, 2010 7:37:22 PM

My checks was stolen

Posted by: Teodoziya S.Levytska at Nov 5, 2009 1:44:33 PM

On October 12, 2007 someone broke into my car and stole my purse. My checks, along with all my identification information was stolen. Someone is using my stolen checks to write and cash bad checks. Can you put a fraud alert on my stolen checks?

Posted by: Vernelle Kate Palmer at Oct 28, 2007 6:43:02 PM

I lost my volunteer fire fighting check reimbursement which was like 23-33 dollars. How can I report this and/or receive this money? Thanks, John

Posted by: John at Jun 14, 2007 10:44:04 PM

Checks stolen about 11:00 AM 10/23/04 in South Charleston WV
Attempted use notification on 10/24/04

Posted by: JoAnn Scholl at Oct 23, 2004 11:36:03 AM